I'm posting this recipe in honor of my dear mom. She used to make oyster dressing for Thanksgiving. It was one of her favorites. I don't have her specific recipe, but this is a good one.
Cornbread Ingredients ~
1 cup self-rising cornmeal
1/2 cup self-rising flour
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 TBSP. vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. To make the cornbread, combine all ingredients and pour into a greased shallow baking dish.
3. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and let cool.
Dressing Ingredients ~
7 slices white bread, dried in warm oven
1 sleeve saltine crackers
2 cups chopped celery
1 large onion, chopped
8 TBSP. butter
7 cups chicken stock
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. dried sage
1 TBSP. poultry seasoning
5 eggs, beaten
2 pints or 1 quart oysters, drained
Dressing Directions ~
1. Crumble dried white bread slices, cornbread and crackers.
2. Mix together and set aside.
3. Saute chopped celery and onion in butter until transparent, 5-10 minutes.
4. Pour over cornbread mixture.
5. Add stock; mix well.
6. Add salt, pepper, sage and poultry seasoning.
7. Add beaten eggs and mix well.
8. Add oysters and mix.
9. Pour into a greased pan.
10. Bake for about 45 minutes.
More Than a Hero
6 hours ago