The beauty of this recipe is that it can be prepared a day ahead...I love being able to prep early!!! Just cover the pan of mashed potatoes with foil and keep in the refrigerator. Baking time will take longer because the casserole is cold, maybe 30-40 minutes. Then add toppings.
4 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed to be boiled
about 3/4 cup milk
1/2- 3/4 cups sour cream
4 tablespoons butter
2 cups shredded cheddar
1/4 cup plus 2-4 tablespoons freshly snipped chives
2.8 oz. bag Oscar Mayer Real Bacon Recipe Pieces
salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the potatoes in salted, boiling water until they are tender. Drain well.
- Butter 9x13 glass baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees while preparing the casserole.
- Add butter and mash into the potatoes.
- Add 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup sour cream and beat until incorporated.
- Stir in 1 cup of cheese and 1/4 cup chives.
- Add more milk or sour cream if needed. Potatoes should be very creamy.
- Taste potatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon potatoes into baking pan; evenly smooth potatoes.
- Cover with foil and bake in oven for 15-20 minutes until they are hot.
- Remove dish from oven and remove foil.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup cheese over the potatoes and return them to the oven.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, just until the cheese is melted and casserole is hot.
- Remove casserole from oven. Sprinkle with all the crumbled bacon and 2 teaspoons of fresh snipped chives.