When Bill and I first married we lived across the street from the sweetest couple, Don and Pearl Gibson. Pearl made THE BEST Southern potato salad I had ever tasted, so I asked her to teach me how to make it. Here is her recipe...
5 lbs. potatoes
Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
1 dozen eggs
sweet pickle relish
1 large onion, chopped
1. Clean potatoes and cover with cold water in dutch oven.
2. Bring potatoes to a boil. Turn down temperature and cook until potatoes are done.
3. Prepare hard-boiled eggs while potatoes are cooking.
3. Remove potatoes from stove and add cold water.
4. Peel off skins and cut potatoes into bite-size pieces.
5. Remove shell from eggs.
6. Chop eggs and add to potatoes.
7. Add desire amount of sweet pickle relish. (I usually use an entire small jar.)
8. Add chopped onions.
9. Add enough mayonnaise or Miracle Whip to make the potato salad creamy.
10. Add salt & pepper for taste and mustard for color.
11. Sprinkle paprika on top of potato salad and chill until ready to serve.
13 hours ago